Thursday, December 15, 2011

Spit Shine


When I was a youngster my father served in the Army Reserves. On weekends he would dress up in his army uniform to go to reserve meetings with his buddies.

I can remember him preparing for his meetings. He would have perfectly starched shirts, a well ironed uniform with perfect creases, shiny brass and spit shined shoes or boots. He would pay us a nickel to shine his shoes. And while we helped he would teach us lessons about taking care of your clothes and being conscious of your attire. He would tell us how important appearance can be in life.

It seems like my father always looked for lessons to teach us. They weren’t termed as lessons but instead as chores or responsibilities or something “I told you to do.” I now realize he was making sure that we were self reliant. He wanted to be sure that we knew how to make it in the world.

Now I didn’t get all the lessons dad was teaching when he was telling me to do things. Many times I just saw it as something else I had to do. But as I’ve grown older, and throughout my life, those lessons come to my rescue as I try to make it in life. It’s amazing to me how much smarter my father has become as I’ve gotten older.

If you have young people in your life who like me need some good coaching, do like my dad. Look for lessons that you can teach in the midst of everyday occurrences or chores. You don’t have to say that they are lessons. Instead think of it as planting seeds. That’s what dad did with me. He planted seeds. And even though my dad has been gone for many years now, I continue to benefit from the seeds he planted, the lessons he taught me. Like the importance of a good spit shine.

Thanks Pops.

No comments:

Post a Comment