Monday, January 9, 2012

Bring Me Giants

“I feel too strong to war with mortals, bring me giants!” - Cyrano de Bergerac

Last week I went to the dentist for a root canal. I hate going to the dentist. I’m always looking for the “painless” dentist but have never found such a person. But my root canal was nearly painless and I think I know why.

Earlier in the year I made multiple trips to the orthodontist and the dentist to have a tooth extracted and an implant and crown put in its place. The procedure meant I would literally have a piece of metal screwed into my jawbone and later have it capped with a crown. Just thinking about it was painful for me.

The doctor was good and gentle. He talked me through the entire procedure and I didn’t have any real problems. My only problems were really in my head. The image of metal being screwed into my bones was just too much. The laughing gas and anesthesia minimized the physical pain but did nothing for the pain in my head.

Well like my older sister Becky used to tell me, “At least when you go to the dentist you know you’re going to come out alive. Its not life and death like serious surgery.” And once again, she was right.

Even with all the drama I produced in my own head, I didn’t die and it wasn’t “that” bad. So months later when I had to face getting a root canal, that procedure seemed to be less threatening. If I can handle getting an implant, a root canal would be a piece of cake. And it was.

I’ve noticed that my perspective plays a large role with other problems I’ve had to face. And I’ve learned how to use this knowledge to help me get through tough times.

For example a year ago my baby brother died after fighting leukemia for two years. It was tough watching him go through the final weeks in intensive care and later at the hospice center. It was tough watching him make life ending decisions, watching him have final words with his family and friends. It was tough speaking at his funeral and later visiting his grave site.

But as tough as it all was for me and others, we got through it. There were many tears and sleepless nights but with time things got easier. Its still tough but I’m getting through it.

Losing my brother is like getting that tooth implant. It makes all other problems seem so small when I compare them to what its been like for the past 3 years or more. It’s about perspective.

When I change my perspective I can thank my little brother for sharing with me experiences that will make my life easier in the future. When I change my perspective I can learn from past challenges. And most importantly, when I change my perspective the problems I have today seem small and trivial. I thank Jeff for that new perspective.

So I’m not saying I wish bad times on myself or anyone else. But I have learned that we can get something positive from every experience. Even going through sickness and pain with love ones can put minor problems like job issues, relationship ups and downs, money concerns and most everything else that happens into perspective.

My last few years have been tough but they’ve made me strong. That’s why I like the statement by Cyrano de Bergerac. Bring me giants. Give me big challenges. I’ve been through the tough times and I got stronger.

So I say, “Come on Life, shoot your best shot. I’m Jeffrey Brundy’s big brother. I come from strong stock. Let the problems come, let the giants come. I can handle it.”

“I feel too strong to war with mortals, bring me giants!”

1 comment: